What is Riseup Society Alberta
- Riseup Society Alberta (Riseup) is a registered charity.
- Since 2007 Riseup has provided individual and group counseling to persons struggling with the affects of Intimate Partner Violence (IPV).
- In 2018 Riseup provided more than 1000 hours of professional counseling
Who do we Serve?
- The majority of our clientele is female however we provide services to men and women.
- Counseling is free for the first 6 sessions, clients are encouraged to contribute to the organization if they are able.
- Inability to pay does not impact their access to counseling.
What is Intimate Partner Violence
- For both men and women, physical IPV victimization was associated with increased risk of current poor health; depressive symptoms; substance use; and developing a chronic disease, chronic mental illness, and injury.
Incidence of Intimate Partner Violence
- In a General Social Survey, Statistics Canada found almost equal proportions of men and women (7% and 8% respectively) had been the victims of intimate partner physical and psychological abuse (18% and 19% respectively)
- 67% of the population have been in or know someone who has experience a violent relationship
- IPV affects 29% of Canadian women – that is more women than are affected by breast cancer and depression.
- Alberta maintains the third-highest rate in the country (historically Alberta has been first or second).